Friend Friday: Fashionable Feminism / Unapologetic chic

by byanika on 25/03/2011 · 45 comments

in By Anika,Friend Friday,leopard,self worth,teal

This weeks Friend Friday questions deal with feminism and fashion blogging.

I grew up with a dad that I consider feminist in the sense that he always has reminded me not to let being a woman hold me back, incouraging me to go for it. I have grandmothers who did go for it, establishing themselves as independent women and artists, going against the norm for women at the time.

For my 18th birthday one of my grandmothers gave me the complete works of Jane Austen – and a box of condoms. The message was clear; educate your self, take part and contribute to the greater soceity (the books, people! what is wrong with you :D ), have fun and own your responsibility for your self.

I am humble and grateful to everyone who has come before me and on whose shoulders I stand.

Do you think there is an incompatibility between feminism and a love for fashion?

No. I have style and brains, and I am not afraid to say it.

There is more to each of us than a love for fashion, how do you incorporate every aspect of yourself into your blog?

I am true to my self in my blogging and in my life outside the bloggersphere. If I can`t be authentic in what I do and who I am then I am not interested. I do get personal at my blog, but not to private. There is no way I would be talking about self acceptance with hutspa if I wasn`t walking the walk my self, being honest about falling -and getting up again.

With the fashion industry still being a male-dominated profession, how do you think it would differ if women played a larger role?

I am very interested in seing how the  fashion industry will be impacted by the growing number of sassy, competent and talented women making their mark on it. Diversity, in this case between men and women but also within the two groups, is key to any creative process.s

I think it high time for the fashion industry to celebrate diversity for both sexes!

How is your self-image and the way you carry yourself informed by your beliefs?

They are intricately linked and intertwined.

For better and for worse, I am me; humble, ambisious, joyous, melancholic, curious, introspective, centered, intelligent, creative, playful and voulnerable. I know this because I now dare to practise my core belief that we are all worthy, even me.  I continue to get to know my self and dream bigger dreams for my self, precisely what I want to support in others. How can I not celebrate my newfound kindness towards my self by wearing my heart on the curvy sleeves of colourful dresses?

Do you think clothing/makeup/hair helps communicate the truth about yourself or are those things superfluous add-ons?

Playing dress up is lovely, fun and superficial, but when I infuse my fashion and my look with self respect it is anything but.

In other words, when fashion and empowerment come together it is a case of unapologetic chic.

Dress ByAnika, made with fabric from a H&M-maxi, belt from a H&M mini, scarf by Zara, wegdes by Nilson, neckless worn as bracelet by Noa Noa, ring by Top Shop, earrings by Glitter.

The Friend Friday project by Modly Chic is a way for fashion bloggers to share more about themselves and create a friendly connection with other bloggers. Join the conversation by joining the Fashion Beauty Friend Friday Google Group.

If you would like to join this wonderful network but feel unsure of how it works be sure to check out the eminent post on just how to do the Friend Friday by the gloriously talented and savvy Grit and Glamour!

1 SeeNo Gravatar March 25, 2011 at 6:34 pm

Wow, I think it’s so awesome that your dad encouraged you to not let being a woman stop you from doing anything. This is no wonder you are so inspiring. By the way, I like the dress! And that coral colored bracelet is adorable!
See recently posted..Ran off with a muffin todayMy ComLuv Profile

March 27, 2011 at 10:35 pm

Hi See, thank you so much for your kind words! xx

3 JoyNo Gravatar
March 25, 2011 at 7:47 pm

Hi Anika, Great post! I too think it’s terrific that you had your father and your grandmothers to encourage you.
Your beautiful authenticity shines through and is such an inspiration. :)

Pretty colors in that dress — love the bracelet, too (coral is one of my favorite colors). Looks gorgeous on you!

Joy
Joy recently posted..Friend Friday FBFF- Happy Birthday- Gloria SteinemMy ComLuv Profile

March 27, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Thank you so much dear Joy, I feel very touched by your kind words, and take them to heart. Thank you again :) xx

5 CharlieNo Gravatar
March 25, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Your family sounds amazing :)

Love the dress darling. You always look fab!
Charlie recently posted..Happy colours and bowsMy ComLuv Profile

March 27, 2011 at 10:36 pm

They are, in their own bonkers way, you know how it is with fam ;) Thank you my dear! <3 xx

7 The Girlie BLoggerNo Gravatar March 25, 2011 at 9:27 pm

I think to be both a feminist and a fashionista makes you a “FEMINISTA” and it’s completely authentic.

The different shades of aqua blue looks lovely on you, btw.

March 27, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Feminista! I love it! Thank you sweetheart :) x

9 myheartbloggedNo Gravatar
March 26, 2011 at 12:26 am

I love your answers so much. I think we can wear dresses, make-up, and still be strong women. You hit the nail on the head, as usual my dear.
myheartblogged recently posted..Links à la Mode- March 24- 2011My ComLuv Profile

March 27, 2011 at 10:37 pm

Thank you so much my dear, we can – and we ARE! Big hugs to you! xx

11 VeshoeviusNo Gravatar March 26, 2011 at 12:51 am

Such lovely and optimistic answers! I do have issues about the compatibility over fashion and feminism not really in terms of how I dress per se but more on how women are targeted as a consumer group by the industry.
Veshoevius recently posted..Friend Friday- Feminism and FashionMy ComLuv Profile

March 27, 2011 at 10:50 pm

Hi sweetheart, I absolutely see and agree with your point, and the way you worded it in your post was great!! Hugs xx

13 OfeliaNo Gravatar March 26, 2011 at 3:41 am

Anika, I love learning about how did you grew up and how cool and modern your grandmother was!!!!
The dress made from the H&M-maxi is brilliant and fits you so well. The accessories are lovely as well.
And the best accessory of all: your smile!!!!
Have a great weekend!!!
Ofelia recently posted..Washer- dryer and much moreMy ComLuv Profile

March 30, 2011 at 10:33 pm

You are so sweet my dear Ofelia! Yes, my grandmothers but were way ahead of their times, and were jugded by their peers. They have shown me that if you have a talent you need to use it to stay true to your self.

I really want to thank you for your warmth towards me! I will be round to yours very soon my friend. <3
I hope your week is going well! xx

15 HeatherNo Gravatar
March 26, 2011 at 4:08 pm

No. I have style and brains, and I am not afraid to say it.

I absolutely adore how sharp and concise your answer is Ankia! And you’re so right. Intelligence and feminism do not have to be sacrificed for fashion. Ever. Certainly, not any more. The in states, this seems like a very hard concept for women, especially young women, to grasp. I’m not saying they can’t understand it, but that there is an established social belief that a feminist cannot be fashionable. If only they knew what they were saying!

And you’ve completely opened my eyes to color blocking. I’m normally a very nautical, cape cod-type dresser, but these fabulous photos have me wanting to pull out some serious color blocking. The coral bracelets matched with the blues is simply inspired :)
Heather recently posted..THE SECRET OF MOONACREMy ComLuv Profile

March 27, 2011 at 10:33 pm

Thank you so much dear Heather, I really appreciate your feedback. Truly! I am trying to empower teens everyday in my worklife, and I can`t stress enough how important it is to know ones own worth.

And I am so glad that you now want to try colour blocking! I would love to see what you come up with :) xx

17 Absolutely Mrs. KNo Gravatar March 26, 2011 at 4:55 pm

love reading it, so fabulous that you are not afraid to say what you think, i already knew that you had brains. i love the way you put yourself out there. don’t stop being yourself and don’t stop to tell the world how you feel about fashion. BTW so in love with that orange ‘bracelet’, it looks perfect with the blue.
Absolutely Mrs. K recently posted..the biggest back-yardMy ComLuv Profile

March 27, 2011 at 10:32 pm

Thank you so much my dear, I take your feedback and support to heart! Sending you warm hugs xx

19 fuyumeNo Gravatar March 26, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Excellent answers Anika. I love the values your dad instilled in you. Fashion and feminism can co-exist ;)
fuyume recently posted..Nina Dolcetti – Funky FootwearMy ComLuv Profile

March 27, 2011 at 10:31 pm

Amen sister! Big hugs to you my friend xx

21 KristinNo Gravatar
March 26, 2011 at 9:20 pm

I love your dress AND your answers! “…When fashion and empowerment come together it is a case of unapologetic chic.” This stuck out for me. You’re inspiring!
Kristin recently posted..Friend Friday- FeminismMy ComLuv Profile

March 27, 2011 at 10:30 pm

I am so glad you hear you enjoy both! Thank you! You so sweet :) xx

23 LeighNo Gravatar March 26, 2011 at 9:32 pm

this was such a great, meaningful post! you are lucky to have a dad that encouraged you so much! great outfit by the way! :)

March 27, 2011 at 10:30 pm

Thank you very much sweet Leigh :) xx

25 bangyourheadNo Gravatar March 26, 2011 at 9:40 pm

You are one sassy chick! I like it!

It’s cool that you make your own clothes, and a lot of what you are saying here is true. We are responsible for ourselves.
bangyourhead recently posted..Earth Hour – med stearinlys og NovembreMy ComLuv Profile

March 27, 2011 at 10:29 pm

Why thank you honey! Klem! xx

27 DAKOTANo Gravatar March 27, 2011 at 12:18 am

Always love the way you call people sweeties and I always love your photos.

xx

Friday!!!

March 27, 2011 at 10:29 pm

Hi Dakota, thanks very much! Yes, being a Brit I do tend to use affectionate nicknames (crumpet/precious etc lol)

29 MyFavouriteThingsNo Gravatar March 27, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Hei Anika – wow, herlige svar, dette var gøy og inspirerende å lese! Tusen takk for den hyggelige kommentaren din på bloggen min, setter veldig pris på at du tok turen innom:) Fra det lille jeg har sett nå så har du en flott blogg og en utrolig bra stil, og “curvy fashionista”, det liker jeg! Det er viktig med formfulle motebloggere for å vise verden at mote og skjønnhet kommer i alle størrelser og fasonger, det er slett ikke nødvendig å se ut som en modell for å ha en bra stil! Kudos til deg! Ha en flott helg!

PS: Jeg har lagt meg til som følger, jeg har en følelse av at blogginnleggene dine kan bli en skikkelig oppmuntring å lese:)

March 27, 2011 at 10:28 pm

Hei, så hyggelig tilbakemelding! Setter ordentlig pris på det :) Jeg gleder meg til å lese deg videre også. Klem til deg!xx

31 GRIT & GLAMOURNo Gravatar
March 27, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Love this line:

“fashion and empowerment come together it is a case of unapologetic chic.”

••V••
@gritandglamour
GRIT & GLAMOUR recently posted..WVW- No Black!My ComLuv Profile

March 27, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Thank you Vahni, that was actually my starting point for the post. Hugs xx

33 Krystal/VillageNo Gravatar March 27, 2011 at 8:57 pm

I so loved reading your answers!! You have a great outlook! thanks so much stopping by and reading mine, I’m glad I got to meet your blog!

March 27, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Thanks Krystal! So lovely that you came to visit me :) xx

35 bangyourheadNo Gravatar March 27, 2011 at 10:55 pm

Where are you from?
bangyourhead recently posted..En god tanke- men ikke så god i praksisMy ComLuv Profile

March 28, 2011 at 4:07 pm

In Norway? Oslo. I am your regular Norwegian-English-with a pinch of Turkish blood-raised in France-married to a Bosnian-mix. ;D

37 bangyourheadNo Gravatar March 28, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Aha! Så da snakker du norsk altså:) Ble litt satt ut av “klem” hehe!

March 28, 2011 at 8:05 pm

Så vittig, skjønner den! Ja, det gjør jeg :) Hvor i vårt vakre land holder du til? Veldig hyggelig å bli litt kjent med deg!

39 bangyourheadNo Gravatar March 28, 2011 at 9:30 pm

Har bodd mesteparten av mitt liv, og oppholder meg nå, i Øygarden utenfor Bergen:) Har flyttet til Nederland til kjæresten og håper å komme inn på skole der.

March 28, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Så spennende! Jeg ønsker deg masse lykke til med det! Jeg var i Bergen for noen år siden, helt nydelig. Det er sikkert vakkert i Øygården!

41 bangyourheadNo Gravatar March 28, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Det er som de fleste andre steder: flott når været er bra:P

42 Casee MarieNo Gravatar March 29, 2011 at 1:00 am

You’re, like, a rockstar! This was so marvelous and substantial, so vivaciously full of all that makes you so uniquely you. I definitely agree on everything, but especially that it will be exciting to see how the growing amount of women involved in the fashion industry will shake things up soon. (Not that I’m hatin’ on the guys. They do an awesome job, but still.)

P.S. I think this was my favorite part: “If I can’t be authentic in what I do and who I am then I am not interested.” Bravo! xo

March 30, 2011 at 9:37 pm

I am rockstar?! How did you know! LOL
Thank you so much sweetheart, I am glad you enjoyed it. Yes, I need it to be real, years of trying to be something I am not has tought me that. I am done. Now I don`t want perfection, I want good, honest FUN. With you! Kisses and hugs for you xx